Sunday, March 18, 2007

The excitement of a new project

I currently have three projects on the needles, but today I will be talking about my most recent. Because, as a general rule, the most recent project is the one you're most excited about.

For the last two years I have been coveting the
Adrienne Vittadini Vol. 25 pattern book. I first saw the lace and ruffle cardigan in an advertisement when the book hit shelves in Spring '05. I was in love. I had only been knitting for about 6 months, so I knew it was far too challenging for me. I tried to make myself forget it. Since I am talking about it now - a full 2 years later - it is clear that I did not forget it. I bought the pattern book and found something in it I'd rather make first. I decided to make the Allegra twist-front top my first project from this book. It's small enough to complete in a timely manner. The lace and cable pattern is interesting enough to keep me entertained, and I love the way the mitered front accents a waistline.





I chose Knit Picks Shine (worsted) for the project because it is affordable and despite my ambition this will be my first sweater. This way I won't be completely heartbroken if I can't complete the project, and I won't be out over $100, either. The yarn has a nice shimmer to it, but I wish it had a little more twist. I'm finding that when I SSK the yarn un-twists. It's unfortunate, but I am remaining hopeful that it can be repaired during blocking. The vibrant green apple color will look fabulous over a white tanktop and conveniently arrived on St. Patrick's Day. I cast on for the back and have knit through 1 ball, which yielded 6 inches.



Apparently I am a very loose knitter. The pattern recommends a size 9 needle to achieve the gauge, but I had to go down to a 6. I'm measuring frantically throughout my progress and so far everything is working out. Despite a few minor mistakes I made early on in the lace (I've decided to leave them, as this is the back and this sweater is my first. I want them to remain so I can litterally see my progress as a knitter in the garment).

I'm feeling very optimistic about this piece, and finished 15% in a single day. Hooray for new projects!

No comments: